19E-M48-M60 Armor Crewman
The M48/M60 armor crewman leads, supervises, or serves as a member of M48/M60 armor unit in offensive and defensive combat operations. In addition, serves or assists on staffs at battalion or higher level. Duties for MOS 19E at each level of skill are:
a. Major duties.
(1) MOSC 19E1O. Assists in target detection and identification. Places turret in operation. Determines range to target. Prepares range cards. Operates main gun controls and firing controls. Adjusts fires. Boresights and zeros main gun. Fires main gun. Loads, fires, and clears machine guns. Operates tracked and wheeled vehicles over varied terrain and roadways in combat formation and armor marches. Uses and responds to oral commands and visual signals. Maintains orientation in moving vehicle by comparing terrain with maps. Selects tank routes. Positions vehicle in firing position. Secures battle position. Secures, prepares, and stows ammunition aboard tank. Loads main gun. Unloads misfires. Exercises safety precautions in ammunition handling. Refuels vehicles. Prepares radio equipment for operation and enters net. Operates internal communications equipment. Performs operator maintenance on turret, weapons, controls, and communications equipment. Assists in performance of unit maintenance of turret components. Performs preventative maintenance checks and services on tank chassis and automotive components before, during, and after use. Assists in performance of recovery operations. Prepares tank for operations under various weather conditions and for passive operations. Assists in construction of fortification and barriers, including minefields. Breaches and clears minefields and obstacles.
(2) MOSC 19E2O. Performs duties shown in preceding level of skill and supervises subordinate personnel in performance of these duties. Assists tank commander in training tank crew. Prepares, files, and distributes operations maps, situation maps, and overlays. Reads and interprets maps and aerial photographs. Records information on maps and overlays. Indicates location, strength, tactical deployment, and emplacement of friendly and enemy units. Marks vehicle routes on maps and overlays. Reproduces, distributes, and files operations orders and plans. Inspects tank turret and automotive components for malfunctions. Assists in the performance of unit maintenance of automotive components. Assists in maintaining the gunnery proficiency of subordinate gunners and loaders. Supervises ammunition resupply operations to include request, receipt, storage, inspection, and issue of ammunition within armor units.
(3) MOSC 19E3O. Performs duties as tank commander. Directs deployment of personnel and tank in combat operations and training exercises. Evaluates terrain and selected routes, areas, and firing positions. Identifies and selects targets. Issues fire commands. Directs fire of tank weapons. Employs searchlight. Supervises training of tank crew. Conducts battle drills. Requests, observes, adjusts supporting fire. Responds to direction from platoon leader. Coordinates action of tank with platoon and supporting elements. Plans movement routes. Supervises crew operator maintenance. Coordinates requirements for unit maintenance. Supervises camouflage of equipment. Evaluates work performance of subordinate crewmembers. Ensures collection and proper reporting of intelligence data to unit and responsiblestaff sections. Supervises operation of support platoon class III/V squads.
(4) MOSC 19E4O. Assists in planning, organization, direction, training, supervision, coordination, and reporting activities of tank platoon or staff section. Supervises platoon maintenance activities. Directs distribution of fire and assigns fields of fire. Collects, evaluates, and assists in interpretation and dissemination of combat information. Directs platoon tactical movement. Directs movement to contact, hasty attack, and defense at platoon level. Coordinates platoon resupply operations. Supervises the employment of OPSEC measures. Coordinates the evacuation of casualties.
b. Physical demands rating and qualifications for initial award of MOS.
M48-M60 armor crewman must possess the following qualifications:
(1) A physical demands rating of very heavy.
(2) A physical profile of 111121.
(3) Correctable vision of 20/20 in one eye and 20/100 in other eye.
(4) Normal color vision.
(5) A maximum height of 6 feet, 1 inch.
(6) A minimum score of 90 in aptitude area CO.
(7) Formal training (completion of MOS 19E course conducted under the auspices of U.S. Army Armor School) mandatory.
c. Additional skill identifiers.
(1) D8-Master Gunnery (M60A3 Tank).
(2) P5-Master Fitness Trainer.
(3) 2S-Battle Staff Operations (skill level 3 and above).
(4) 4A-Reclassification Training.
d. Physical requirements and standards of grade.
Physical requirements and SG relating to each skill level are listed in the following tables:
(1) Table 10-19E-1. Physical requirements.
(2) Table 10-19E-2. Standards of grade TOE/MTOE.